Mutsindashyaka fait perdre 4 millions par mois au gouvernement rwandais
Kigali: Government is losing more than Rwf 4m ($8000) every month following the halting of construction on the eastern province office block which is the cause of trouble for embattled former Minister Theoneste Mutsindashyaka, reports indicate.
The magnificent five-storied building located in Rwamagana was initially planned to cost Rwf 1.7Billion (about $3m) to be completed in July 2008. However, that price suspiciously shot up to Rwf 3.2Billion ($5.7million) and the completion time-frame was extended to May this year.
Mr. Mutsindashyaka was appointed State Minister early last year from the same province. His Executive Secretary Mr. Gasana Charles is now co-accused in an ongoing corruption court case involving Mr. Gatwabuyenge Vincent, the former Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Infrastructure.
The owner of the construction company Enterprise Mugarura Alexis (EMA) is also party to the same case in which the Office of the Prosecutor said Tuesday that it has evidence linking Mr. Mutsindashyaka. Prosecution says it is investigating if there could have been some element of bribery.
Governor Kabaija told Radio Rwanda on Wednesday that the contractor Mr. Mugarura Alexis wrote to the Province informing that due to ‘unexpected circumstances’, construction on the block would be stopped. Mr. Mugarura apparently did not detail the circumstances in the letter earlier this year.